I found these care instructions in one of my shoe boxes… always good to re-read these. I love my shoes 🙂
Here are some tips to ensure that your shoes last longer and retain their appearance and remain comfortable to wear.
Protect New Shoes:
Pre-treat your new shoes before wearing them with an appropriate protector (e.g. Leather, suede and fabric protectors). This will waterproof and stain proof the shoes and ultimately prolong their life.
Give Your Shoes a Rest:
Do not wear the same shoes two days in a row as shoes take a whole day to dry out. Perspiration build-up is a major reason for footwear failure.
Dry Wet Shoes Carefully:
Never put wet shoes in front of a fire or heater as heat causes premature damage to uppers and soles. Rather let them dry naturally at room temperature and stuff them with clean paper to maintain their fit and shape.
The Right Way to Clean Shoes:
- Leather is a natural material and needs regular care.
- If soiled, allow the mud to dry first before cleaning.
- Remove the mud with a blunt instrument and dab off the remaining dirt with a clean damp cloth.
- Apply a quality shoe cream or wax polish to clean the leather uppers.
- Buff with a clean dry cloth or soft bristle brush.
Nubuck and Suede Shoes;
- Frequent use of stain or water protector will maintain the appearance.
- Do not use a wire brush as this damages the surface.
- Clean with either a stiff nylon or hard rubber brush, or a suede shampoo.
- Expect a slight colour change.
- Avoid wearing in wet and muddy conditions.
- Take extra care with delicate materials and trimmings.
- To clean use only specialised cleaning products or soapy water.
- Test the cleaning product on a small area of the shoe first.
- Hand sewn beadwork needs added care when worn.
- Remember to avoid brushing the sides of the shoes against surfaces.
- Avoid scratching the inner sides of the shoes against each other when walking.
If you take care of your shoes they can last years…