500 ml cake flour
20 ml baking powder
5 ml salt
1 ml pepper or cayenne pepper
75 ml butter or margarine
1 or 2 eggs
About 190 ml milk
375 ml grated Cheddar cheese
- Pre-heat oven to 250 C. Grease a baking sheet.
- Sift together the dry ingredients.
- Rub in the grated butter with your fingertips or use a pastry cutter or food processor.
- Beat the egg(s) and blend with 125 ml ( ½ c ) milk; set aside 15 ml ( 1 T ) of this mixture to glaze the scones.
- Add the cheese and cut in the liquid with a spatula; do not knead the dough. Use sufficient milk to make a dough which is stiff enough to roll out.
- Place the dough on a floured surface and flatten gently with your hands or roll out to a thickness of 2 cm. Cut into rounds with a biscuit cutter or use a knife to cut into the desired shapes.
- Place on the greased baking sheet. Brush with the egg and milk mixture and bake for 10 minutes or until the scones are nicely browned on top.