Guest blog by Marijcke Dry
You will need:
- Raw Ceramic Plate
- Wood Glue or Craft Glue
- Mosaic tiles in different colors (enough to cover plate)
- Tile nipper
- Mosaic Tile Grout + water for mixing
- Plastic Bowl for mixing grout + spoon
- Craft Paint + Paintbrush
- Clean Washcloth (old one)
- Clear Varnish Spray Paint. (optional)
- Start by deciding on a design for your plate.
- Transfer or draw your design on the plate.
- Cut your tiles smaller in different sizes and shapes.
- Starting on the inside of the plate fill up your design with different colored tiles, making sure that you leave space between the tiles for the grouting.
- Finish up the base of the plate before you start on the outer edges.
- After covering the whole plate with gluing the tiles on leave the plate till the glue is dry.
- Mix some grout with water making sure it forms a smooth paste. (not too watery)
- Once again starting on the inside spread the grout into all the grooves, and cover the whole design. Finishing the edges neatly.
- Using a wet sponge wipe off the excess grout.
- Leave to dry completely. (24hours)
- Once the grout is completely dry, use an old washcloth and rub the tiles clean, also make sure that all the excess grout is cleaned away.
- To finish off your masterpiece paint the rest of your plate with craft paint that will match some of the tiles.
- You can also use clear varnish spray paint to seal everything.
I love doing mosaic work, cutting the tiles and fitting them in their spaces is like building a puzzle. For me it’s therapeutic…… Hope you enjoy doing this project as much as I did.